Lesson 5 – The Changer
Goal: Learn about helping others and giving back and recognize the benefit to self, others, family, and the community.
Activity: Donita Fry shares of Hope found in the Hero’s Journey.
The Hero, having met the challenge, returns transformed.
The Hero discovers that the answer was there all of the time.
“One of the biggest gifts that I received is getting to know who I am. I think that it is associated with the domestic violence I went through. I was told for over a decade that I was worthless.”
Donita Fry shares of the Hero’s Journey and ways to help the people. She explains some key ways to continue to transform pain and be positive in recovery and solutions. Here are her suggestions:
- 1. “I learned the words in treatment to talk about the disease that I had. I was reintroduced to the drum, the sweat lodge… healing and finding reconnection to my culture … to my spirit.”
- 2. “I feel like I belong.”
- 3. “Reconnecting with spiritual values supported freedom to discover and be who I wanted to be.”
- 4. “I could talk about this pain that I carried around… high rates of poverty, unemployment, despair… all of these pieces. I wanted to hold on to that pain when I thought my ancestors had suffered so much. I came to a realization about not being a victim and moving forward in the best way I could.”
- 5. “I closed the door to my part of my life that was full of drama and full to no tools to get outside of it.”
Do any of her words speak to you? Share with a friend or a therapist one of Donita’s statements and how it applies to your life. Review places you can go and people that you can connect with to discover more.
“What is going to be my legacy?”
Donita Fry offers suggestions that will support a healthy way of living and a future that is affirming and positive. Find one statement and repeat it for seven days when you get up.
- 1. When I get older I will be there for the younger generation.
- 2. I am not a victim of historical trauma; I am a survivor from it.
- 3. I am a manifestation of my prayers.
- 4. Every day I have a choice.
- 5. I look for solutions.
- 6. I have powerful medicine (in my culture) that shows me how easy it is to deal with horrible things in my life in a healthy way.
- 7. I think and focus about the direction I want to go.